View Single Post
Old 06-08-2013, 05:34 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVista View Post
What is sRGB mode? (not that I want to give up the Garish - but pretty - "WIDE")
Rec709 and sRGB use the same primary colors. Rec709 is the specification for digital HDTV; sRGB is the corresponding spec for still pictures, used almost universally for pictures posted to the web, default digital still camera output, etc. The jpg (JPEG) file format generally assumes sRGB color space.

Other wider gamut color spaces are available for working with still images, but are likely to cause errors unless used in applications that are properly color managed, such as Adobe Photoshop and certain web browsers, when used with files that support color profiles. Therefore, I can look at true wide gamut photos that I take myself on my wide-gamut HP monitor, but I can't post them to the web for anyone else to see.

There have been proposals by Sony and others to expand the color space for HDTV. Expansion has been included in the Blu-Ray specs, but as far as I know, no discs have been produced using it. It has not been adopted into broadcast TV standards.