View Single Post
Old 03-11-2018, 07:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowhereMan 1966 View Post
I work customer service for a communications company (OK, Frontier) and the rule of thumb I was taught that for 1080 resolution, the bitrate needs to be 19 Mbps, it might be doable with 17 Mbps but 19 is the rule. I only get 12 down on internet so when I watch anime, I select standard def usually. 4K, I'm not sure, I would venture to say at least double that if not more.
On Netflix 4K, the streaming averages 12 mbps. On Direct TV, 4K satilite transmission is about 30 mbps, looks very good. Not sure about YouTube. I can say some excellent 4K content on You Tube but never checked the streaming quality. As mentioned before, UHD 4K Blu-Ray is the best.

Not sure where the other guy is coming from with 5mbps. It simply won’t cut it for 4K. He seems to suggest after spending all the money to create the formats including ATSC 3.0, all the providers will cut the service. You don’t have 4K video quality with 5 mbps.

A side note. NHK of Japan is about to roll out 8K and 8K sets are going on sale in Japan.