Thread: RCA CTC-36 Woes
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 05:40 AM
Administrator

The damper and horizontal output tubes in that set tested stone dead, but the 5GH8s were really good, so I transferred those over to the Mural set. I took the good caps out of the vertical section that you installed, and am saving those for another set. I'm saving as much of that set as humanly possible, but rust got to a lot of it. In fact, I had to hacksaw the clamp on the back of the picture tube to get it off.....which was kinda scary!

Funny, on the black case set, I saw that someone at some point replaced that same .047 ceramic cap on the bottom board that on mine, went off like a firecracker. Musta been a common thing

I ended up using the remains of the broken clamp from my CTC-36 to put back on the tube, but when I had the back off the Mural set, I saw that someone had used zip ties in its place. I thought, wow, why didn't I think of that! So, I'm gonna pop the back off the set again, test tubes, and get rid of that rusty broken clamp.

We had a temporary roommate for about 6 weeks that ended up using my CTC-53. Much to my shock, she ended up falling asleep to it every night, and it ran nearly every night all night for at least a month . But the thing never faltered.