View Single Post
Old 12-14-2016, 06:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

If quality is what you want out of it, I would recommend building a vintage gaming machine based around an AGP Nvidia card with s-video/composite out. Some of the early PCIE cards had s-video as well such as the Nvidia 7, 8, and 9 series or ATI Radeon X series. You could actually still use the PCIE cards with a modern PC giving you the option of an ITX board with a quad core Intel Atom.

I personally use an '06 MacMini with an upgraded CPU running Windows 7 using the composite/s adapter. This works great all the way up to N64 and PSX. I use updated emulators from their source rather than a frontend. It isn't the most convenient, but I am looking for quality. I have found that the MacMini makes the least fuss about a CRT TV. With only minor tweaking the picture fits perfectly on the screen with no border, bloating, or trapezoid going on.

Maybe I should mention that every time I have used a Ras with composite out on a CRT the screen is NEVER perfect, or anywhere near it.

If you want a simple no fuss HDMI based retro gaming system that just works, than I think this is an excellent idea.
Audiokarma