View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 09:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVista View Post
I think this is welcome news given the ubiquity 1080/60i, with even ABC switching to this after a decade of 720p - and maybe this is why: They now have more confidence for artifact-free images now that PsF can be originated from new generation cameras? (It's all done in the camera)
Artifact free? The low temporal resolution at 30 fps will always show artifacts. The artfacts are intentionally hidden with temporal smearing. As spatial resolution rises, so must the temporal resolution.

It is sad that 720p has had such a bad rap since it is capable of conveying higher resolution video than 1080i. Most of the problem stems from poor image rescaling in not only consumer equipment but also broadcast equipment. The point is that if the broadcast chain is properly set up so that production video is oversampled (1080p) and properly rescaled to 720p for delivery and then properly rescaled to 1080p for display, the image will knock the socks off 1080i. Interlace is archaic and it cannot be further condoned. And the temporal refresh rate has been ignored too long: it must be higher than 30 frames per second.

And where did you hear that ABC was departing from 720p? It doesn't make sense ABC going from a higher overall resolution of 720p down to 1080i? Unless it is to overcome the poor engineering practises of many current broadcasters.

Last edited by Penthode; 12-14-2012 at 09:57 AM.