View Single Post
Old 10-15-2019, 10:57 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

My dad, Henry, started his Mercedes journey back in the early 60s, w/a "Ponton" model. He even had a '65250SL, the little "Pagoda roof" model. He progressed up to a '72 280 SEL 4.5 V-8, last one sold here that was basically set up like a German home market version. I was in it w/him once, we got up to an indicated 140 MPH, & it wasn't done then. He never really found out how fast it WOULD go. He made it home from Richmond, VA, to Rogersville, TN once, trying to beat a snowstorm-375 miles in 4.5 hours.. He beat the storm ! Then came the Gas Crisis of '74, he traded it for a 240D diesel.. That car's top speed was about where the big V-8 shifted into high... But he stayed w/the diesels, the LAST one he had was a '79 300TD, a 5 cylinder turbo Weasel..It was almost as fast as the big V-8 was... Maybe not off the line, but it sure as hell wouldn't embarrass you, either.. It also had the then current "S-Class" body, it LOOKED like a "Drug Dealer" type Mercedes... rather than a dowdy taxi or Polizei car. If you get a Mercedes that has been taken care of, HOPEFULLY by a Mercedes dealer, you'll likely get a car you can have & enjoy for a LONG time. There's a REASON they cost so gotdang much-take care of one, & YOU can get 2,3,400K miles outta one, too ! Be patient, Chilluns, I'll spin youse my tale of Woe about putting half a tank of Weasel Juice in a '76 Cutlass 350 GAS V-8..