View Single Post
Old 06-28-2002, 09:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

1940's 10" sets

Many of the 10" sets made prior to 1949 are likely to have Channel 1. I just count the positions in the photos that are posted on eBay and I'm almost always right about which ones do have Channel 1 vs which ones don't. I just bought an RCA 630TS for $150 that has Channel 1. Buy-It-Now wasn't originally an option, but I convinced the seller to sell it to me for $150 with Buy-It-Now since the set was listed in Collector's Guide to Vintage Television as having an average unrestored value of $175, was missing a knob and needed a small piece of veneer fixed on the front. It's going to cost me quite a bit to have the set professionally disassembled and packed since the seller didn't want to attempt it himself. I'll also have some money involved in the veneer repair. I bought a complete set of knobs for the 630TS on eBay recently so I have the replacement knob on hand. I even have a spare 10BP4 (had two, but used one of them) and saved a dud to have rebuilt if necessary. What I don't have but hope to find are replacements for a missing HV cage, back cover and 2 knobs for my Fada TV30 (also a Channel 1 set). The cage and back shouldn't be hard to find as they're pretty much identical for the 630TS and all its clones. The knobs, however, are going to be harder to find because, although any 630-clone knobs will fit the shafts, the Fada knobs are cosmetically different.

John