View Single Post
Old 09-26-2015, 07:21 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
It will probably work, but I would imagine the HV for a 13" is lower than a 19". If you don't have HV, it's almost has to be the 9-160.
??? Not according to the CRSP - Zenith's definitive word on modules. In the beginning of the System 3 series, Zenith had a high rate of return on modules, and determined that techs weren't following the manual - weren't checking for proper Horiz drive, B+ and so on when swapping modules. The CRSP wasn't in independent service techs hands, so they got a mailing list for shops and mailed each one a CRSP. The result was a drop in module returns (Surprise, that module is not for that set....!) and in a humorous note, some techs wrote Zenith and asked for a subscription to the CRSP. Zenith actually added those independents to a list, and when the CRSP got updated, they got new CRSP manuals.

At one Zenith Seminar in early 84 (I attended with my dad's former boss, A Zenith dealer), they showed a set that was serviced using the wrong module, not sure of the combo, but swapping the wrong module had damaged another module. They also showed off a mod to the ultrasonic remote tester that allowed a tech to check for horizontal drive, a test that allowed you to isolate the fault to the correct module. The ultrasonic remote tester we had already had the IR mod, but I brought back the mod sheet and modded ours - just a resistor and coupling cap - the whole tester was built around an op amp driving an LED to show the pulsing of the remote signal, or with the Horizontal drive mod, the pulsing of the drive signal.

Bottom line is, use the CRSP and avoid the problems. It also lists all the duramodules and some digital modules. I have scanned about 80% and posted in various threads - just search CRSP.

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!