View Single Post
Old 04-15-2022, 01:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortalexfan View Post
I got the proper audio plug in the mail yesterday and I installed it, but unfortunately there was no audio coming from the cartridge, which I figured out it was because someone screwed with the original tone-arm wire and so I have to install some new wire in the tone-arm.

The original cartridge by the way is still good, I tested it for output with my newly acquired EICO VTVM (that I finally found a set of test probes for) and I got a good strong deflection on the VTVM with it set in Ohms.
Something to consider here, if sorting the wiring in the arm doesn't bring back the sound;

The typical failure of old carts is not that they fail electrically, but physically. Meaning, the soft parts that allow the needle's vibrations to shake the electrical pieces dry out and become solid. If it's a crystal cart the crystals themselves solidify with age, and old magnetic carts don't fare much better. In other words, electrically good is not proof of a working cart, making vibrations into amplifyable electrical representations of sounds is
Audiokarma