View Single Post
Old 12-11-2022, 03:36 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lain94 View Post
A bit of an update. I tried using iso to clean up the gunk on the HV cup for the tube and also used a generous amount of super corona dope. I am still having the arcing issue however. I am not sure if this is because of a grounding issue, the voltage being too high, a bad CRT, flyback, transformer, or if there is still some hole somewhere? I am honestly stumped right now.
Well you can get an HV probe/meter and check the HV to rule that out. If the fly isn't getting hot and you have enough HV and deflection then its probably OK.

CRT grounding can be checked by eye and by resistance.

You can investigate the source of the sound further by getting a few feet of insulative plastic or rubber hose sticking one end in your ear and probing around for the loudest arcing sound with the other end like how a doctor would use a stethoscope.

Lastly don't put corona dope on something that you haven't gotten completely spotless. Dirt can be conductive, stains in the plastic can be carbon tracking, and carbon tracking must be completely removed before corona dope or silicone is laid down (even if it means taking a Dremel to the plastic and grinding it away) or else the arcing will just penetrate the thin layer of dope and resume it's normal carbon track.
When Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol fails I next use GoofOff to clean off residual dirt....That stuff will slowly melt the outermost layer of plastic or rubber so if GoofOff don't get it clean it's Dremel time.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4