View Single Post
Old 04-22-2019, 09:40 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Telecolor-Let me offer you a few suggestions. I'm 62, have had a license since I was 16. I've taught several people how to drive, the last one being my little "Girlfriend", Bethany, starting when she was like 8 or 9. I taught her in my 2000 V-10 Ford Excursion 4X4 SUV, which is WAY bigger than almost any vehicle you're likely to encounter in Bucharest, except for leftover Soviet Chaikas, Zlins, & other chrome plated bulldozers. I'd try hard to find an automatic car when you're 1st starting out, an automatic will save you the trouble of stalling out, & possibly having inadvertent collisions w/other cars. If you have a BIG empty parking lot where you can practice w/o being bothered-or bothering anyone else, that's a step ahead, too. Practise backing up into parking spots a LOT, to where it becomes second nature to you, & hopefully, you won't have to deal w/a smashed tail light, headlamp, or irate owner of the car you just tapped... Once you get comfortable w/driving, & don't scare yrself anymore, then maybe you might start want to learn how to operate a manual. . Again, start out slow, take things EASY, find the biggest hill in Bucharest, come to a complete stop, & attempt to climb it to the top in yr manual-and NOT stall out, or start going ass-backwards... Some might argue w/me on learning on an automatic, but if Bucharest is like every other metropolitan area I've ever been in, you will want every aid to effortless driving you can get... The goals should ALWAYS be-1) Don't get hurt, 2)-Don't hurt anyone else, 3) Don't hurt another car, & 4)Don't hurt YOUR car. Sounds intimidating, but I'm pretty sure you'll do FINE...Driving isn't really all that difficult, & can be a HELLUVA lot of fun !!