View Single Post
Old 05-07-2018, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Well, let me give you *my* take on things......

First, the fact that there was no silent auction didn't have any affect on the prices but drive them up from where they would have been had most of the stuff been in the silent auction. The problem was that there were too many sets of the same type, and many of the "heavy hitters" that would have bid on the premium stuff weren't there to do so.

Anyone who took a bath on a set could've set a reserve. I'm in that category, I lost my ass on two that I had in the auction. But I made up for that in what I bought.

We had so many sets come in at the last minute that things got really stupid, and Darryl, Steve, and I did our best to keep up with everything piling in.

After the auction, I heard there was some sort of rumor circulating that the CT-100 with the restored chassis was a real hack job, and that it was basically a train wreck with a raster....which probably dropped the bidders out and pushed the other set high. Don't know, I would have had the seller address the comments if I heard it before the gavel.

Dave A did a great job as the auctioneer. Honestly? The problem was that there were not enough people and people with big vans in the parking lot to handle all of the stuff coming up for bid.

Everyone including myself watched everything that went up on the block live go for top dollar last year, so everyone took that opportunity to bring stuff in.

The only way things would have gone for normal prices or above is if people would've brought less to sell. As memory serves, there were something like 160 lots and maybe 60 guys watching the auction. Pure mathematics drove the price down, not the procedure.