View Single Post
Old 02-19-2017, 10:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

An update on the where ... and why .. the demonstration was part of an trade exhibition by the industry in May 1959 ... another image of the exhibition is attached.

We know one of the the tv networks wanted to broadcast in colour because advertisers wanted it. (Australia had three networks in 1959)

However, a combination of issues with NTSC (real or imagined) and the promise of better systems ie PAL or SECAM just around the corner plus the reluctance of the Treasury to fund the conversion of the national broadcaster the ABC (an Australian version of the BBC) meant it would take until 1975 for colour to arrive in Australia.

Papers released some time ago showed that Treasury was worried about the impact of large amounts of imports on Australian cash reserves. (Well that was their excuse!)

But I think a big part of the problem was a bureaucracy that didn't like TV at all. They had delayed b/w TV until the IOC insisted that TV be available for the 1956 Olympics!

As to whether the RCA sets shown in the picture were 625/50 or 525/60 ...nothing on the photo site says anything (and I doubt the photographers would have understood the question in 1959)

I wish the picture was in colour and that there were more shots...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg awa stand.jpg (142.1 KB, 46 views)
Audiokarma