View Single Post
Old 11-19-2018, 11:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
This set will have a switching supply.
The flyback ( FBT ) is probably good. Normally they short
& no HV will come up or it will go into overcurrent SD or self destruct.
NEC monitor switchers were a large module very well shielded.
A look inside may turn up more bad electrolytics.
If its marked on the PCB you can look for the HV B+ supply & see if
it goes above spec ( typicaly abt 120 VDC ) before SD.

good luck
Zeno
LFOD !
Thanks for that info Zeno. I really do hope that the FBT is still good because apparently this is some kind of top secret experimental government component that doesn't even exist on paper. As you can see from my previous post i'm starting to think I might be in the clear there but only time will tell. Will be on the hunt for more bad components tonight.

I did measure the B+ and from what I saw it was slightly over spec. This is assuming that I was measuring correctly and had the right numbers. It may or may not have been within tolerance though. I don't remember the service manual giving me a +/- tolerance number but I might be misremembering. Either way I intend to repeat my measurements with the variac if needed so I can see how the voltages are behaving before shutdown.

You seem to know a bit about NEC monitors. Do you know anything about this specific model? I cant seem to find a single thing on it and was extremely lucky to find the service manual. Only one site seemed to have it and yes I did have to pay for it. It just seems to be very very uncommon and I'd love to know more about it. If it helps any the guy I got it from took it from a security company that he had worked for when they were throwing it out.
Audiokarma