View Single Post
Old 11-24-2018, 06:23 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-20 View Post
Making progress... Got the yoke twisted back in place per zeno's instructions (Thank you!). But not yet brave enough to take the tuner apart. All of the wires are soldered.

I took some pictures of the inside and discovered one of the corners that anchored the screen in place was completely broken! It must have gotten pushed in during shipping. I took pics of one of the normal corners and the broken one after some efforts to put in back in place. Would this kind of damage seem connected to the small image?
No surprise there, most sets I've opened have the RF input cable soldered in place. In my experience those things need really good grounds. If the 1st RF amp transistor is blown it'll be a real dog to replace if even possible, it's pretty tight in there. Unless you have a schematic that identifies the transistors don't bother trying. Any tuner that uses approximately the same B+ voltage should work even if it doesn't physically fit. Fortunately for me a blown tuner was very much the same internally as one from my parts stash, the most important feature being a removable shaft. The hardest part will be swapping the front of the housing so it will mount properly.

The damage to the CRT anchoring point has nothing to do with the image size issue.