View Single Post
Old 12-10-2018, 04:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
These portables and farm sets do tend to be on the low end of the market. With farm radio tombstones where there was also an AC set that used the same cabinet the battery only versions tend to fetch ~1/2-1/4 the price of the AC versions. Many portables tend to be cheap as well. Granted better condition tube radios have generally been climbing out of the $5-40 range.

The nicer stuff you gotta pay more for or be really persistent in your search and or lucky. I often go to radio swapmeets ready to spend $100-300...Sometimes I hunt up a bunch of deals on low price stuff sometimes I blow most of it on a big ticket item that I feel I'll enjoy more than 5-10 average or project sets, sometimes I just don't want anything all that much and buy nothing or close to it (and save that money for other stuff).
Also you only have so much space, once it fills (that has happened to me a few times) if you still want stuff you start to realize that selling 10 cheap and or junky sets and spending the money earned on one really nice set both fixes the space issue and improves the overall quality of what you have...
I agree. The bottom line is collecting antiques is a luxury. If you can't afford to pay what the average selling price is to be in the hobby, then it's probably best not to be involved. I sacrifice money that I could be putting towards many other things to enjoy this hobby, but then I'll back away from it for long stretches every once in while due to finances.
In the antique radio hobby, if you can't afford these battery sets, or typical AA5's and such, then it's definitely not for you.

Last edited by decojoe67; 12-10-2018 at 06:23 AM.