View Single Post
Old 06-09-2015, 09:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

I remember in the book "Iacocca" Lido stated that Henry Ford didn't want his name on anything made in Japan. I wonder if he put Taiwan in that same category? Hard to explain all those Ford Courier's they sold, though. I have noticed that many bw portables from that era lacked the Ford logo, though I have seen it on stuff built around the time of the space age model.

Last night I happened across parts of an interesting book on Google; it was a chapter on the marketing of TV sets through the 70s. Lots of interesting tidbits, talking about the overcapacity of color CRT production in the early 70s, the sale of Philco's color CRT plant to Zenith (which soon had to idle it) and the story of what caused Ford to finally pull the plug on Philco consumer electronics. It said that several months worth of production in, I believe, early '73, were built with defective Motorola IC's. The cost of fixing that problem was the straw that broke the camel's back and they bid adieu to the old Philadelphia Storage Battery Company.