View Single Post
Old 04-13-2018, 04:08 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

The broadcast color stripe signal

Prizes related to this post:

3rd place: you remember reading about this test signal
2nd place: you remember seeing this signal on a black and white set
1st place: you remember using this signal to test a color set
Grand Prize: you worked for a station that implemented this signal.

The signal referred to is a pair of color bursts added to a black and white program inside the active picture area, on the extreme left and right. The idea was that, during a monochrome broadcast, a color set could be tested for basic function by turning the horizontal hold control to phase the horizontal so that the burst at the left of the screen was gated by the receiver burst gate, and therfore the color came on, and the right side burst was seen as a color stripe on the color set.

The signal could be seen as stripes of subcarrier dots in monochrome sets.

This was explained in the old SAMS Color TV Training Manual by Oliphant and Ray (no copyright date).

I recall looking at this on my family's monochrome set as a teenager when I was learning all I could about color TV, but I will leave the prize categories open for some others to claim.

By the way, this seems to be an indication of a possible problem with early sets, in that the horizontal could be misadjusted to place the burst gate during active video on color programs too!

Edit: I found a copy with the printing info: TVC-1, First Edition, First Printing, May 1956
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Color Stripe test signal.pdf (964.4 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by old_tv_nut; 04-13-2018 at 04:17 PM.