View Single Post
Old 08-17-2022, 10:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

1948 Magnavox "Berkley" Console Issues

Hello everyone, earlier this year I picked up a 1948 Magnavox "Berkley" AM/SW/Phono Console (Chassis No. CR-198F) that still has its original Magnavox rebadged Webster-Chicago 2 Speed Record Changer in it (minus its original cartridge that was a flip-over variety that was flipped in a similar manner to the original Zenith "Cobra-Matic" Changers from the same time period where you flipped a lever mounted on the back of the tonearm to flip between the "LP" and "78" needle.)

In place of the original cartridge was a Sonotone 2T cartridge which was for some reason wired into the audio input jack for the optional FM Tuner accessory for this radio instead of the phono input jack and so I rewired the unit so the cartridge audio was inputted into the phono input jack again, but for some reason or another when I touch the wires going to the back of the cartridge I don't get any hum out of the unit when its switched to phono mode, but yet when I touch the phono input jack itself on the chassis I get a hum when I touch it, just not going through the wire going from the tonearm to the plug, and I have continuity between both ends of the "hot" and "ground" wires going from the cartridge wire to the plug going into the amplifier, but for some reason its not passing any electrical/audio signals through those aforementioned cables.

Any ideas as to what might be causing my no audio issue?