View Single Post
Old 06-10-2016, 02:03 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I just brought it home. I would bet it works, but I haven't even tried it yet. A 1974 model, 25EC58 chassis, SC600 -

It came with what I think is the original stand and 3 remotes. The one on the left, the SC600Z with the orange on/off button is probably the original, the SC600Z with the white button is newer, and then the one on the right, the SC600X is older. I looked around for other Zeniths those might go to, but this was the only TV there. I also picked up that little Zenith 'Royal 300' transistor radio.

This has been a good summer for estate sale finds in the Detroit area. Those 1961 Zenith consoles (the SC400 B&W and the console stereo), were also estate sale finds ('Captainmoody' found them at a sale, and I got them from him). This was at an estate sale on a small island SE of Detroit. You could see Canada across the water from the front yard of the house. I got there at 9:30 (when it opened at 10) and there was already a big line out front of the house. And they only let in a few people at a time, so it wasn't until 10:30 that I got inside. The TV was upstairs, so I had to carry it down the stairs. I took a couple pictures of the sale, if I can figure out how to post them from my phone, I will.
Yours is the first Zenith TV in a chrome cabinet I have ever seen or even heard of, which leads me to believe it was a limited-edition model when it was new. Most if not all other Zenith televisions I've seen have been in vinyl-clad metal cabinets, black ones or plastic. (I had a Zenith 19" portable in the late '70s with a woodgrained top, sides, and speaker grille, but the rest of the cabinet was plastic; I had another Zenith portable after that with a solid black plastic cabinet.) I wonder if your set was one of the higher-end Zeniths, perhaps a step above the Avanti consoles. But why three (!) remotes?

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 06-10-2016 at 02:11 PM.