View Single Post
Old 01-27-2017, 03:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

Wow! First sorry folks, I honestly don't know much about altering the size of picture files. I know that can picture size can be be a pain in more than one way. Having little love (for digital stuff) or need for much more than basic Internet connectivity, I have a very slow connection speed at my home. Still in the Kbytes! LOL!

So if my Dad (who is way more up to date than I in digital gadgets) sends me a pic from his "smart" phone, I must ask him to doctor it up so my computer isn't slowed down to a crawl for 20 minutes all to get a pic so big that I have to scroll up, down, left & right to see it. Wisco always reminds me that the easily uploaded small pics I use suck. Guess he's right. We will work on that. Hey; better than nothing I guess...

In other news: Yes, pour around a couple grand into a nice Sencore LC102 and perhaps you can build add something that will just spit out a replacement cap! I guess we are all here for similar reasons, but we have the right to approach it all how we want and with what we want to use. I started off years ago doing quite a bit of successful repair work with an analog VOM and a soldering iron. That doesn't mean I would recommend it, or want to use just that as like many things in life; we evolve.

And I think that there are many of us here who don't just want to fix obsolete stuff. We like many other things about using it and repairing (restoring) it. LONG story short, I find the old cap analyzers very interesting in a world where many think that their DVOM can do the job, or perhaps an ESR meter. It only took the computing power of a calculator to put a man on the moon. How much science and/or money must we put into finding a bad cap in tube driven equipment?

Besides Sencore's high dollar stuff, I don't know of anyone else making cap testers that at least test under real world conditions (rated voltage). So some folks like me are bringing these good old units back up to snuff and do just fine with them. Accuracy? They can be made to be very accurate for what they are. The old bridge can be persnickety measuring value! LOL! That's where the DVOM comes into use.

I do understand those who don't want to restore their restoration equipment though! LOL! The stuff were trying to fix gives us enough fits; right?

Last edited by Tubejunke; 01-27-2017 at 04:34 AM.