Thread: AMC Eagle
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2018, 07:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

There really is not much else I can do on the car now without jackstands but that transmission has pushed that investment months ahead. In the meantime I've been trying to figure out what new tools I will need and what needs attention. I have confirmed I have one set of sensors and actuators for the cruise control plus a spare control unit and combination switch for the steering column. That isn't a priority for now but the 4WD is.
I confirmed that the transfer case is currently in 2WD mode but the front hub is locked. Applying a vacuum doesn't seem to disengage it.

I pulled out the salvaged actuators I got and found that while its transfer case actuator was fine the other was also immobile. It took about 45 minutes of applying penetrating oil and persuasion in a vice to unfreeze that and dump out a bunch of rust so my guess is that the one in the car has also seized. That will have to come out and be repaired or replaced when I replace the front diff oil. That alone seems like I will need to get some torx drivers because the actuator is hidden under a rock pan.

Also I am still struggling to find any significant rust. I spent half an hour under the car looking in every tight spot trying to find something serious but aside from really small bits here and there the integrity of everything but the suspension's rubber bushings is amazing. I have freaking mount points that go through the body where bolts have either rusted out or have been so loose they rattle around but the body itself has not started rusting from these mating surfaces. How can a factory rust treatment be this good??

Last edited by MIPS; 10-04-2018 at 07:44 PM.