View Single Post
Old 12-23-2014, 02:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

I was in cuba in January 2014 - ALL the old cars are powered by Toyota 4cyl diesel truck engines. I gave a cabbie $5 to look under his hood and took a picture, I should post it here! I was in probably half a dozen old cars and looked at many more. The condition is as you would expect - replacemebt windows crudely cut from window glass (yikes!), heaps of body work done, interiors torally redone wirh local materials... Loosing all detail and looking more like a 50s diner, most instruments don't work with the engine conversions, etc. Still, riding in a 1955 Chevy convertible in the tropics with no seatbelt And a crazy driver is a piece of paradise I will never forget.

And the Styling of a 1958 Oldsmobile is something I would never have experienced if not for cuba. Since that trip a 50s car has been on my "to do" list, it's such an amazing era for automotive a which is before my time and if not for cuba I would never have been lucky enough to experience it.

I think Cuba should pass a law prohibiting those cars from leaving the country - they're all old junk individually, but all together it's just beautiful.

Last edited by maxhifi; 12-23-2014 at 02:59 PM.