View Single Post
Old 10-25-2015, 09:17 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanine View Post
It may have been suffering low HV before, but no longer. The new focus rectifier, and the shuffling of tubes... And I also cleaned up some dust build up inside the HV cup on top of the flyback box since there was some arcing in there, and I also changed out the anode lead to the CRT with a 50kV rated wire from an old computer monitor, which took care of all the arcing, and makes a nice connection to the CRT, as well.

(and a minor adjustment to my meter so the needle would stop sticking)

25kV! Now, the Hi-Volt adjust is cranked open all the way, so that could be something else, time will tell once it gets more issues, and caps changed.

Now for everything else. One step at a time. This was a big step for me, very excited to see color, 25kV on the meter, and a bright stable image. This will be a nice set again soon!
Be careful with the HV and a bad/low output focus rectifier. Folks see low HV, crank up the HV, and then have out of focus pix, so they replace the focus rectifier tube or diode, and now they have too much HV, and too much focus current - it smokes the focus coil on these old sets (happened to my CTC16) - it's a no wonder the focus coils were QT parts.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!