View Single Post
Old 10-30-2015, 11:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Red eye status update.

I've found why the screens were funky. The 1020V boost was 200-300V low. The 100K resistor between the rectifier and it's loads was 2.5X rated value. Replacing it got it half way back to spec. Replacing the boost diode with 2 1.5KV PIV rated silicon ones (1 probably would have been enough, but there is no kill like overkill ) in series brought it within 35V of spec.....I'll call that close enough of a tolerance for my taste. Now I can back the CRT bias switch off a click and still get a bright blue set up line.

I replaced the three tubular ceramic Elmenco caps with modern parts (I've seen enough bad not to trust them). The .01 400 red tubular plastic H osc. cap next to the coil also has been replaced as a precaution.

The grounds on the video and sweep boards got a 150W iron touch up, and I also reflowed the some of chroma osc. traces (she has not lost color synch since last time).

I added the HOT cathode fuse holder, but I don't have any fuses down near the 1/4A range so it is a place holder until you pop one in. Cathode current dipped at about 200-205mA which seems decent.

I checked every resistor in the vertical section under the 2Meg max of my DMM and all were within rated tolerance. The V Out cathode cap was re-replaced with a new 47uF 160V replacement that is closer to the original 50u 150V cap that Arcanine replaced with a 100u 400V. The 80uF 450V off the vertical output Xfmr tested fine and B+ to it looks good. Hoping the Boost fix would bring it back I powered it up with no change in vert.

Some tube rolling got me this:

I think my plan of attack is going to be lift one leg of the high resistors in the vertical so my chinese component tester (which has a higher resistance range, but is more interested in the caps in the circuit) can focus on the resistors and if that fails to find fault start testing/changing the vertical stage drop caps.

Unfortunately while going thru the spare tubes (to find another vertical tube) one of the H outs Arcanine left with me managed to roll off the table and bust it's self on the floor. I'm sorry dude, I should have been more careful.
Wow it's really coming back to life. I'm glad I handed it off to you, it was indeed a little beyond me.

And which tube was it? Was it the tall RCA 6JE6? Or was it a Sylvania 6LQ6? If it was the Sylvania don't lose any sleep over it. If it was the RCA, well, better start sweating!

Haha nah don't worry I'm kidding, accidents happen. I have a couple more of those here.
Audiokarma