View Single Post
Old 06-24-2012, 11:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

You may have to experiment with resistors to see which one gives you close to the correct voltage (probably in the 125 to 135 volt range under normal load).

Those motors usually get very hot under normal operating conditions; but, I'd still suggest cleaning and lubricating it.

It depends on where the big brown resistor is as to rather or not it can be taken out. If it's ahead of the rectifier, you can take it out and replace it with a higher ohms unit needed for the new silicon diode. If it's between the output of the rectifier and the first filter cap, I'd leave it in place. If it's between the two filter caps, it needs to stay. It's unlikely that it's in the filament circuit; but, if it is, leave it alone.

One issue that I've found with NOS cartridges is that the output will be OK; but, the rubber suspension will be hardened, resulting in excessive skipping and record wear. Whenever possible, I try to use current production cartridges. If you use a current production cartridge, you'll either have to live with reduced volume or add a preamp stage.