View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 06:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
In an old issue of, IIRC, the (now long defunct) Electronics Illustrated magazine, there was an article in which a TV repair technician told the story of a service call he made to a home with a recreation area in the basement, frequented by the owner's friends who were sports nuts and enjoyed betting on games. In that rec room was a wall in which were mounted several TVs, one of which had a shorted CRT. When the technician arrived, he turned on to a local UHF channel the one set that had been reported as defective, and found a smeared picture, which would intermittently clear when the neck was tapped. However, I remember how the article ended. "When I left," the technician wrote, "they still had on the UHF channel -- broadcasting continuous stock market tapes!" I guess the owner's friends followed the stock market closely as well.
Yep, early 70's (71 or 72) issue. i have about 30 of them, including the one with that article in it. My father gave them to me about 10 years ago when he was cleaning out some of his old college books.