View Single Post
Old 11-08-2019, 12:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
Hello. Since you are from U.K. you can please explain how the registration numbers are given there. Starting from the past utill now. I've read that they are a combination between area and year.
in 1904 each county were given one or two letters, & numbers from 1 to 9999 for their plates I.E. London was given A & the first number plate was A1, then went up to A 9999 then to next letter combination. My home county of Nottinhamshire had AU TO VO NN, Derbyshire had R RA RB CH & so on. In the 1930's the one & two letter combinations were running out, so the put a letter in front of the two letter combinations so you'd have AAU 1 to AAU 999, the single letters were not used anymore. This system started to run out in the 1950's so they reversed the system, so you had up to 3 numbers (or 4 for one & two letter combinations) & one two or three letters, my uncle had 2766 R (this would be worth many thousands of pounds now) & Dads was 520 AAU. This system started to run out in 1963, so a new system that was 3 letters & up to 3 numbers then a letter on the end that changed every year staring with A for 1963 then B for 1964 & so on. My motor bike was AVO 15B & my first car GAY 585B, this system ran out in 1984 & was reversed starting with A, one of my Father-in-laws car was A46 ACH, one of my cars was H41 VAU. This system ran out in 2001, the present system is an area letter (Nottingham my local area is F) then a random letter, the if registered between March & September the number is the year, if registered from Septl to Feb the number is the year + 50, so the car I bought new in September 2006 was FE56 EOC, my present car I bought in March 2017 is FE17 UGZ. Norther Ireland has a different system, their plates have three letter with an I or Z in the & up to four numbers, they have no year number or letter, many taxis & buses have these plates to hide their age . British number plates are quite complicated & a lot of Brits don't understand how they work...

Last edited by Colly0410; 12-01-2019 at 10:10 AM.