View Single Post
Old 04-14-2020, 10:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
You do realize the specs on that antenna are fudged? The unamplified gain should be measured with respect to a tuned dipole, not a 1-meter dipole.

Also, adding the amplifier gain to the antenna gain and calling it the amplified antenna gain is bogus. The amplifier gain is useful to compensate downlead loss. The apparent 15 dB gain of their amp (reading their graph) is more than enough, but the important amplifier spec is noise figure, which they don't give. If their amplifier noise figure is worse than your TV tuner noise figure, it can actually be a detriment.

Another important amplifier spec is overload level. At least they have an option to shut it off if it suffers overload from local signals.

"Removing the noise" is an odd sounding claim - there is no way to "remove noise" from a signal - but this seems to refer to the amplifier shielding, which will help keep unwanted strong local signals that the antenna is not directly aimed at from getting into the system.
The build quality looks amazing. https://youtu.be/4jFfVEN-gFM

The antenna in the video is a smaller version, but a good representation of the one I’m looking at. Do you have any recommendations for ultra long range reception?

I have a small roof mounted antenna and one day, I rescanned, got lucky and a bunch of stations locked in from outside Phoenix valley. Tucson and a bunch of others I didn’t identify. So with a tower, rotor and a really good antenna, I’m hopeful of reaching further.

Edit: current antenna has no rotor pointed at the Phoenix transmitter towers.

Last edited by etype2; 04-14-2020 at 10:23 PM.