View Single Post
Old 04-25-2020, 01:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notimetolooz View Post
There is something else wrong. First of all 455KHz is out of range of the AM radio dial, it usually doesn't go below 540KHz.
The second thing is that the 455KHz from the generator probably is so strong that it will get through the front section of the radio circuit so you should hear it regardless of the dial setting.
You should probably not use a direct connection unless the alignment instructions indicate doing it that way. I would use a loop unless the radio isn't working at all. In that case you would be using a type of signal tracing.
Well the radio only has a ferrite bar antenna and that's it inside it so I was trying to just do a loose coupling by just dangling the test probe next to the ferrite bar antenna to see if I could get a response out of the radio (like I said I I don't have the service manual for this radio because I don't want to pay $25 for it over at Sams and I don't know if they covered it at beitmans or riders because of it being a transistor radio and it was a little after those companies went out of business.)

Also I tried using it to realign my old Philco 116B using the alignment instructions given in Riders and it actually ended up making it worse, and the instructions in the riders called for the IF Alignment to be done by having the positive lead (red lead) of the signal generator hooked up to the grid cap of the 1st detector tube with the grid cap connector out of the circuit (removed from the tube) and then the ground lead connected to the ground connection on the chassis (antenna ground lead).

Which when I did that I was able to peak up the IF really nicely but then when I went to the alignment of the individual tuning bands thats when I had problems on some of the tuning bands I couldn't get the signal to come through, it was completely deaf it wouldn't make any noise but the tuning meter moved though.

The only bands I got response from were the AM Band, the Police Band and the Long Wave Band, the two Shortwave Bands I couldn't get any response from, and once I finished the alignment and I went to test the radio's responsiveness with an antenna, I couldn't get anything in, it was completely deaf.

Is there something I did wrong?

The Philco 116B Manual is posted below.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Philco 116 Service Manual.pdf (341.8 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by vortalexfan; 04-25-2020 at 01:53 PM.