View Single Post
Old 10-26-2010, 06:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Possible FBX Solution

Hi John, welcome to the fray. Glad you revealed your present involvement in getting my CTC2B FBX replaced. Your proposed complete recreation of the failed windings on my original core is a truly heroic undertaking. I’m fortunate to have you participate. Thanks.

Most members of this thread are resigned to the fact that no oem CTC2b FBX will ever be located and even if were, it would probably cost as much as a recent rebuilt 15GP22! This prompted a number of imaginative replacement solutions to be proposed here. Most consisted of combining the low voltage section of my original FBX with the high voltage “donut” from a working, similar RCA or other early color TV FDX , or drive a new HV tripler module from a modern SS TV for ultor . Unfortunately, it’s the original primary and low voltage windings that have failed and are cooked beyond repair. John’s proposed FBX recreation seems like the only solution here……providing it doesn’t cost me as much as a recently rebuilt 15GP22!

Pete D………. to answer your question: In the mean time, I will use the CTC2B chassis only as a hardware test bed and waveform only monitor for my experiments with external Component video inputs. Seems that the three components: Y, Pr,and Pb, are available on three of my DVD players. Y is the luminance with sync that has no 3.58mhz chroma messing it up so it can extend the baseband to 5mhz which equals over 400 lines resolution, where all our roundys cut off at 3.2mhz or 256 lines! I think I can extend my 21CT55's original final three stages of CRT Drivers to possibly 5mhz without chroma interference. It would be great to see the resolution chart wedge with its lines displayed to 400 lines without all the chroma artifacts we see now. Do any of you see a problem?