View Single Post
Old 11-19-2014, 04:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
Later on I asked the wife, she knows Stafani, Sorry not Glam Metal so not on my radar...

If you can post a picture of the sub menus without messing up anything, I'd love to see
what is adjustable on that Sharp set with the extra color... Those pictures you posted
are amazing for something taken off a tv set... Sounds like you did a bit of looking into
this before buying.... Anyway, the pictures do look great !

A set like that with those extra setting.... I'm curious did they give you a report on the
calibration before and after.....? With the ability to super calibrate a tv, did it come
from the factory with any extra attention paid to setup....?

Since Sharp makes panels - is this yellow a Sharp exclusive, or are they now selling
this to others and maybe they just can't advertise it...?

There have always been advanced service codes via the remote that only the tech guy knew about. It wasn't until HD came along that sets got more sofisticated with advanced user adjustments. My set set has an advanced menu with six color hue, saturation, value adjustments. Color gamut range, color temp., gamma, film mode and a bunch of other adjustments.

Newer sets have gotten more sofisticated, claiming to be THX or ISF certified so that you can avoid the professional calibration. Calman software was used to calibrate my set. See this link: http://calman.spectracal.com
It costs $350 and well worth it if you are serious about your movie home theater experience. The ISF certified technician comes to your home with an incredibly precise Minolta camera measuring instrument. It reads the value off the screen after the Calman software is set up on a laptop. The tech goes into the advanced service menu not available to the consumer. The calibration process goes way beyond the software that is available on DVD. The tech spends 4 to 6 hours in the home until everything is perfect. He evaluates your lighting conditions and viewing environment prior to the calibration. You are presented with a booklet of before and after calibration graphs. There is also a separate 3D calibration. After calibration, the retina burning, over saturated image is gone. You see lots of shadow detail in dark scenes. You see an extended range of detail in bright scenes. Everything is balanced. The average person like myself cannot achieve this result with just the user controls.

I will take some screen shots of the user menu. I have the pre and post calibration graphs on PDF and will post then later. Have to find the files.

As far as I know, only Sharp adopted the forth sub pixel with exception of LG which has introduced a white fourth sub pixel on their WOLED panels.