View Single Post
Old 11-13-2018, 04:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
Oh, I must get special tape. I wonder how much it costs. I found spools (empty reals) on ebay.de , but with the transportation they are almost 90 U.S. Dollars ... expensive for here... it will be like for and U.S.A. folk to pay 300-400 U.S.D. for them.
But how I will I know where to cut if I have to do it between the frames?
A splicer that punches holes... that's what I like.
Man, I get into the unknown. I'm geting into a craft that is alsmost gone. But younger folks should do it in order not to dessapear.
And I must save those films. Not having box for them is one thing, but using paper clips to hold 'em... I got waves? Can I make the film smooth again in order not to damage it during projection?
The splicer cuts the film in the right place, it's much more simple than you're imagining. You just have to see it done to understand it. The whole point of the splicer, is it's a tool that cuts the film, and holds it together properly so it can be glued, or whatever. I got my Eastman cement splicer for like $15 at an antique mall, I can make a splice in about 60 seconds. It took some practice to get good at it, but really, don't worry about it.

Are you saying the films you found are not already on reels? How are they being stored, just as loose film? For cheaper shipping, look at plastic reels. Actually in your case I'd be looking at stuff from the former USSR, they had lots of 16mm equipment. Surely you can get some reels from Ukraine or Moscow cheaper than from the USA or Europe?

If the film is really in bad shape, it might not be worth saving. If it's moldy, or smells like vinegar, or is brittle, it's junk - nothing can save it. Can you post some photos of what you are taking about?

You're right about going into the unknown.. film stuff gets expensive quickly in 2018.

Last edited by maxhifi; 11-13-2018 at 04:58 PM.