View Single Post
Old 03-22-2014, 03:51 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
What were you watching on that set in 1949? I remember you saying in one of your posts some time ago that your area didn't get its first TV stations until 1954. Unless you had a deep-fringe antenna on a rotor, I doubt if you were seeing anything other than snow.

BTW, did you ever find a replacement for the missing VHF channel selector knob for your Zenith roundie color set? Being Zenith, I would think that set would do well connected to a DTV converter box or cable (if Charter Cable still has analog service), since CRTs can often show better pictures than today's flat screens. One of the selling points for DTV digital-to-analog converter boxes was, and may still be, that "your old TV never looked better" when fed by one of these boxes. Given a good signal, the box doesn't care what it is connected to--they work just as well with a 1949 b&w TV or a 1999 knob-tuned color set.
Yep, my Porthole came from Harry Poster in NJ.. I dunno WHERE it came from before that. The guy who had my 7" Admiral, he & his buds had an antenna rigged up on top of a mountain outside of town, in the summer they'd go up & monkey w/it, & if everything was "Just So", they'd get in a little bit of a signal from WAGA or WSB in Atlanta, MAYBE WBT in Charlotte. But OTA signals were a "Catch as Catch Can" proposition til late 1953 or '54, when WJHL in the Tri-Cities came on the air. And I DO have a cable box in the "Ships' Radio Room", where the Porthole & most of my Boatanchors live.. Never have got an inner VHF knob for the '65 Zenith roundie color set.. It also needs to go see Terry, but getting it down there is problematical, to say the least...The Porthole truly ASTOUNDS visitors, ESPECIALLY kids, most of whom have either NEVER seen a largish B/W set, or ANY TV that old... May as well be Prehistory... (grin)