Thread: K-cars
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2018, 08:21 PM
Collector of heavy things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Not familiar with those cars, but if the belt had not snapped yet the first time and if there was a cooling fan on a pully the compressor belt shared the stuck compressor could have stopped that pulley...

I'd imagine that with the compressor stuck there would have been a LOT of noise as it killed that belt...If you hear a problem sometimes it pays to grab a flashlight pop the hood and look around carefully. Depending on where they put the compressor it could have been a very obvious fail. (I'm someone who has had a stuck compressor and watched/heard the belt slip on it.)
I believe these cars used an electric cooling fan rather than one run from a serpentine belt. Not sure of the belt layout for the 3.5L V6, but just recalling what the mechanic told me several years ago. Don't remember hearing any odd noises from the engine before the first overheating incident, but I was known for playing the (very nice) head unit in that car a tad loudly, soooooooooo..........
-Adam

Stereo: Pioneer SPEC-4, Pioneer SPEC-1, Kenwood KT-7500, Dual 1219, Nakamichi BX-100, Pioneer PD-M60, Paradigm Studio Monitors