Thread: New Rig!
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 10:47 AM
I like....big sparks!!

New Rig!

A few years ago I was chatting with one of my customers who had been a ham at one time. He asked if I might be interested in his ham gear. I told him "Sure! But there's always the problem of a lack of $$$." A couple of weeks ago our paths crossed again, and, after getting caught up he asked if I still might be interested in his gear. My response was essentially the same as the previous one...but this time he said "I don't care. I need the space in my storage unit...it's yours if you want it. Needs a good home. No charge." A couple of days later I met him at his storage unit & came home with:

A Kenwood TS-180S 160-10M transceiver.
Matching power supply.
Original boxes for both.
A Kenwood 2 meter mobile.
Hefty Astron 12V supply to power the 2 meter rig at home.
An RF analyzer.
And a very nice Nye-Viking straight key.

So...a couple of days ago I finished constructing the support for the garage-end of my dipole...now I'm working on the "house end". It'll be 35' tall or so...mounted away from the house about 8" on insulated supports & sitting on a Coke bottle for a base insulator. I'll have both a dipole & a vertical in one package. Once I get the little bedroom upstairs cleaned out I'll start putting all the gear back in place. It'll be cool:

Semi-modern SSB: The Kenwood.
Vintage SSB: My National 200
Vintage AM: My Knight-Kit T-60 & a Heathkit HR-10B I got from my brother-in-law.
General listening: RME-45 or one of my various S-38s.
MFJ tuner to match it all up.

Want to get everything shipshape well in advance of winter. Need to update the ol' sig as well

Ham shack...AM side: Knight-Kit T-60, RME-45
Vintage SSB side: National 200
Modern SSB: Kenwood TS-180S
MFJ tuner, 130' dipole