View Single Post
Old 01-10-2008, 04:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

Bottom of the range SD set top boxes typically sell for between AU$35 and AU$50 depending on what sale is on at the time. As there is no coupon program here there are no restrictions. Most of them included composite, S-video and either component or RGB outputs. I haven't seen any with internal RF modulators, the RF out connector on them is just a loop through.

At least your cheap boxes will decode a HD signal even if they will only output SD. Our cheap SD boxes only decode an SD signal leaving our stations to broadcast an SD signal, a HD signal and (until the cut off, I don't remember when it supposed to occur) a PAL analog signal.

If you want a converter, but can wait you should start finding them hitting the curbs by mid 2009. Like most bottom of the range electronics a lot of them will barely make it through their warranty period. I find them quite regularly. The most common faults are bad capacitors (no suprise) and damaged connectors (they weigh almost nothing, so it's easily done with tight fitting "monster" cables or even just RG6).