View Single Post
Old 02-09-2017, 08:41 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
Here's how the siliconed tube looks with the mask over it. Not nearly as bad as a cataract, but still noticable. I might get a razor blade and cut the silicone and try again.
I'd pop it apart, clean the caulk off and try again. I generally never re-attach the glass in low light (heck I try to only do it in direct sun) since I want to SEE that the face of the CRT and inside of the glass have absolutely zero dust or lint before I start caulking. It can take a bit of practice to do caulking right if you've never worked with it before. I tend to use 4 strips of 1/4"x1"X 1/8"thick foam double sided tape on the center of each side as spacers, then apply my caulk....With the foam If you don't quite bridge the gap you can press the glass together to get it to stick. Always cut the nozzle of the caulk so there is an opening as small or smaller than the gap and go slow...An extra 10 min of time caulking can make the difference between 'do over' and something you may never have to touch again.

I've always preferred caulk. If done right it won't be seen, and it should last the life of the tube...Unlike tape which can dry out and loose adhesion in 10-30 years.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4