View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 04:21 PM
AK Subscriber

Ok, here's my story...

I plugged everything in including the 5y3 (aka 5z4) and the speaker. I powered up and heard some speaker static and a hum. My bulb tester went up, and I turned it all off. I pulled the 5z4 and the speaker because I knew everything else had seemed to be OK before. I turned my bulb tester back on and it looked like the radio switch was on. When I turned the radio switch off, it was off. Whether the switch was on or off the radio was still on. I pulled everything and I removed the on/off/tone switch which was one of the things I didn't fool with during the cleaning. When I opened it up, it was full of all kinds of old oils, dirt and whatnot; it was a mess. Some of the wires were loose or broken, but anyway, I took it all apart, dumped it all in denatured alcohol for a while, cleaned it and put on some nice new wires. I put it all back together again including the speaker and the short was gone; the switch worked very well. But now, no sound. I don't see any radiation coming from the 5z4 though there is a little heat at touch but not much. I took out the 5z4 and removed the speaker and everything is the way it was yesterday with nice glows from the tubes and no shorts showing on the bulb.

Can any of you make anything out of this or give me a little direction? I'm kind of stumped again.

Thanks!!!