View Single Post
Old 10-06-2017, 09:51 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I DID manage to do a little exploration in NYC.. Big-dealed my parents into seeking out the Rolls-Royce dealership. This VERY-well dressed guy came out to"Wait" on me.. The Rolls were ALL locked up & I asked Cuthbert if I could see the motor..."I'm Sorry, SIR, we do NOT open the bonnets in the showroom.. I asked him if they had any catalogs, he produced a VERY small piece of literature, & I got the distinct impression that WE weren't really welcome in there at all..I wanted to go to the Mercedes dealership, it was 180 degrees away from R-R's place. There were 2 guys in the showroom, both were chowing down-It WAS lunchtime. I asked if I could check the cars out, & one of the sales guys said,"Knock yerself out,Kid., have yrself a BLAST"... They had all the Mercedes that they sold in the USA, & I was in, out, over & Around the cars.. They even had a 600 Pullman that had 3 doors on each side. I told them my Dad had a 250 sedan,& THAT tickled them. They gave me half-a-truckload of catalogs & brocheres,& even though it was obvious we WEREN'T in the market for a new car, they still treated me like I'd just written a check for that 600 Pullman... I WASN'T in the market right then, but I MIGHT HAVE Been at some point in my life. The Rolls' crew made me feel like the proverbial red-headed stepchild, but the Mercedes folks made me feel as if I was "Somebody"...It really would not have "Hurt" if they'd been nicer to me.. I told them of the reception I got at Rolls', they chuckled & said,"Yeah, that SOUNDS like them..."