View Single Post
Old 09-28-2015, 08:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

VM was mostly out of business by about 1974, Zenith was the last company using VM changers in any volume. Zeniths high end belt drive changer appeared for 1961 models, if I recall right. That is the first version with a cobra shaped tonearm, the first version of the microtouch came out a year later. I think 1969 might have been the last year for it, but only in the highest end models. I think it was expensive for Zenith to make. Its a pity they never put a 4-pole or synchronous motor in it though. In the high end 1960 models, Zenith used a Glaser-Steers changer in a few models, for one model year only. Zenith often used other changers other than VM in the 60's maybe only on one or two models, judging by all the different Zenith changer models in SAMS and Zenith's own service folders that show up on ebay. There's also a service folder for a single play (single play for lp, shows the 45 spindle in the platter like the changer version, so it must have changed 45s only. I'm not sure that model actually got produced, I've never seen one outside of the photo in the SAMS. It also lacks the index arm of the changer version, so it would not have been able to tell the spindle was out of 45s, and repeated the last record. I suspect they realized a single play version wouldn't sell and cancelled it before production, but after service literature had been prepared. Has anyone seen one? or maybe they did try to sell it, and no one bought them.
Around 1979, Zenith sold a higher end changer made by Garrard, at least it looked nice in photos. Zenith used BSR in most 1970s units, they also used Glenburn changers for a couple years.

Last edited by Olorin67; 09-28-2015 at 08:08 PM.