View Single Post
Old 03-18-2015, 10:38 PM
M is for Memory

Well I worked on the strap. I started off by trying to remove some surface rust on the tank, that had formed under the old straps, using Naval Jelly, but soon realized that it would require more time and effort than it is worth. So I cleaned the stuff off, let it dry and hit it with some spray lacquer (things tend to re-rust after Naval Jelly if not coated). I then proceeded to install the new strap.

One thing that bothers me is that the new one seems too tight/short. Stopped tightening it for a while because some of the pops and noises the tank was making were a little disconcerting.

I then came back a few minutes later and went at it again, and this time there were no odd noises, and I got it just about as far tightened down as I think it should be.

Part of me wonders if this is how it should be or if they made the straps for a shorter tank and added those projections midway through to allow the main portion to be cut, and the strap to stretch some (the originals lack the projection).

Tomorrow morning-afternoon I'll probably try and change the other strap.
If anyone thinks I'm doing this wrong or am too paranoid feel free to chime in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
I feel the same way about newer cars. Buying and maintaining one I consider ugly would be a complete waste of money for me. Besides, newer cars are so full of airbags, sensors and cameras that they take almost all responsibility away from the driver.
That and the all the software and plastic they are made of are a big turn off for me. I was with my friend Chris about two years ago when a SUV cut off his late 90's Prelude to turn into a store from the oncoming lane...He was able to get it down to 5-15MPH I'd reckon before the corner of his front "bumper" and the rear corner of theirs met. The plastic bumper on his car was destroyed along with significant damage to the hood, fender, and some of the stuff behind the bumper....The airbags did not deploy, and EPCOT's 'Test Track' ride was a good deal rougher than the impact felt (I was seated on the corner that made contact). Insurance totaled it he bought it back and paid the difference to have it fixed... Our families '02 CRV met a similar fate (no real rear bumper in it to speak of).

My Lincoln on the other hand has thick steel bumpers bolted directly to the frame. So if some crazy schnook (I see enough of them out here to have reason to worry) cuts me off or rear ends me in anything short of a truck or a Chevy Suburban sized SUV, I'll cut through them like the plastic and tin foil sneakers on wheels they are. Heck even trucks and semis, while likely able to total it, ain't going to have an easy time reaching me unless they manage to hit the driver side....I find all that protective steel bulk around me quite comforting.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 03-18-2015 at 10:41 PM.