View Single Post
Old 03-19-2015, 02:23 AM
M is for Memory

Wow, your post has quite a bit of info to digest/try and follow.... It took a long time to compose this reply too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quaddriver View Post
First off, on the 460 you just cannot bolt on stuff to the motor. they went thru SO MANY engineering iterations that a lot of head/intake/piston/carb combos do not play well with others when broken up.

As for the motor, you cannot just fit EFI to it, the stock carb heads and pistons and cam it will run like crap. You need to do a lot of work to go that route, then any EECIV ECM programmed for your axle ratio and tweec the fuel curve.
I kind of suspected that it would be much more involved than it sounded, which is partially why I was not 'gung ho' to start the ball rolling on that.
So basically your saying conversion to fuel injection is darn near stripping the block and building it back up from scratch?...Assuming that it sounds like an easier way to go would be just to get a good 90's fuel injected 460, and swap engines if fuel injection gets pursued.

Quote:
So, based on any budget, any engine mods are gonna be in the carb arena. Finding the form police package parts for the year - unobtanium.
So what you are saying is it would be better try and optimize the existent carb based system, than to pursue conversion to fuel injection?

I'm sure the factory original police engine options are unobtanium, but equivalents should not be hard to find. Depending on the package and year the parts were more or less an oil cooler, transmission cooler, high flow fuel pump, better heads, and a different cam....All but the last two should be easy to find modern equivalents for. I like the idea of adding the cooling accessories from a longevity standpoint since it seems every production year the Mark V got a bigger radiator (even the 79's that dropped the 460 from engine the options).

Quote:
Fortunately this is the future and there are entire websites dedicated to the car itself, ford itself, the engine itself etc...you will be able to find the info.
Yeah, I should start visiting those sites and forums when I can find time.

Quote:
Now for body parts, look up 'the lincoln farm' in calvin PA. I know they guy (sold him some lincolns, got my tow dolly from him) he is a resource for body and interior parts.
Thanks for telling me about them. If I can't find what I'm looking for cheap locally I'll contact them.

Quote:
Mileage - its gonna be good at ridding the earth of fossil fuels. I would suspect it does worse than my EFI big block suburban...and they both have 3 speeds.

If you find a proper E4OD (93 and newer) you can retrofit it - it bolts right in - and get a PCM for it (the Baumannator comes to mind) You are gonna pay some money to do this, its not faint of wallet, but it will get you the best mileage you are EVER gonna get. If you buy magnetic fuel lines or air cleaner inserts I will beat you myself.
I'm getting roughly 6MPG. It probably needs to have the carb and ignition tuned, since it idles rough especially in the cold.

Once I have more money to work with I may try the E4OD and Baumanator combo in lieu of rebuilding the original transmission.

Magnetic fuel lines (unless you have a lot of rust loose particles inside your tank) and the like strike me as the automotive equivalent of the Oxygen-free-copper audiophool cables.

Quote:
You did get a scroe here....the 460 is a low heat chocked off version, but that can be fixed. Evilly.
Could you please expand on how to go about fixing that?

Quote:
If you can find a huge plenum huge snorkled 4v air cleaner assembly (might know of one locally) then install that. then you will get all the hp you are from that motor without mechanicals and maximize its efficiency. a 4bbl? not without other engine work - all it will do it dump more fuel down the pipe.
The first sentence is close to greek to me. Are you saying just to get a big air intake/filter housing?...If so I can hardly imagine one bigger than what it has (the round part is bigger around than the folks' jumbo Thanksgiving turkey cook pan).

Quote:
other things...the dura spark is pretty good ignition, you can get DS2 compatible coils, 7mm good wires and by all means re-hose the motor and PAY ATTENTION to the choppers and ported vacuum switches - all are available, and they actually do work pretty well.
IIRC mine uses points....Your recommending switching to Dura Spark II? What are you referring to by choppers?

Quote:
since the exhaust is on the driveway surface ANYWAY, bend a couple downpipes and rig in some duals with 2 cats (gotta have them, dont care about your state law, federal law, if it had a cat then, it must now, but it can be a modern one)
I'm not sure what you mean by "on the driveway". The current state of the exhaust system can be seen below.

So what you are saying is to remove the T pipe off the back of the cats, and replace it with two short ones aimed out the sides and no muffler? Is there a good way to bend pipes without tools meant to do that?
Personally I rather keep the muffler and loose the cats...I like quiet more than I like the exhaust to smell good and please the Washington hippies that have spent too much time intentionally inhaling it directly.

My friends from college routinely remove cats from cars older than inspection age, and were telling me it is one of the cheapest best ways to boost fuel economy. Out here if it ain't got a modern computer port, or based too close to Milwaukee there is no emissions inspection.
I don't care about unenforced federal laws (the EPA and their commie policies can go take a dump in the woods for all I care).
I think the founding fathers and those of the Boston Tea Party would have agreed that bad laws, and regulations passed with sucky or even NO public representation were made to be flagrantly disobeyed...

Quote:
I noticed talk about the radio - heck with esr meters, just recap with 25v units and be done with it - they were not rocket science. if you ever get east to carlisle (like ford nats, spring, fall etc) there are guys there besides myself who fix them on the spot, or at least a few days later. some even have remand units.
That radio was fixed long ago and is rock solid now. I don't have an ESR meter capable of solid state value lytics* so recapping from used parts I have on hand is a gamble, and I have never really taken to online parts orders.
*My 50's Heathkit C-3 has a ESR-ish test (power factor), but with 50V min for all test voltages(IIRC) it would blow most low voltage lytics in SS gear...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4