View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 09:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
Yep, it is an overpriced piece of metal encased in plastic. "Buy one, get one free", if you PAY double shipping and handling to get the "free" one. Like most of these junk products, they already make a PROFIT on the shipping "cost" alone, which, or course, is never refunded with the "money-back guarantees" these junk items usually have.

Even before the digital-TV days, there were ads for "amazing breakthrough mini-dish" antennas that were basically rabbit ears.
I do a lot of comparisons of different antennas. I look for antennas at the various thrift shops and garage sales. I'll usually buy duplicates, if the first one I bought works well. The only ones that work well, are the amplified type.
Right now, the best working set-top antenna, I have is the Terk, Yagi design. It comes with an in-line amplifier. My home is 41 miles from The Milwaukee transmitter towers.
Another thing, with those bogus antennas is the coax cable that comes with them. There's too much loss in it, at the frequencies used for transmission.