View Single Post
Old 04-26-2016, 12:59 PM
Motorola Minion

The fact Westinghouse made electrical generation and distribution equipment seemed to show up in their sets as rugged, if economical, power supplies and sweep circuits. Flybacks in their color sets were silicone coated while RCA's were flaming out everywhere. I do recall W using more safety equipment on their sets. I have the second to last 19" color set from 1968. It is a very odd design with series heaters and many 6GH8's, but it has a lead sheet covering the back of the CRT from mask to yoke. My guess is the Nuclear division had a say in that.

The signal-processing performance was not at all impressive and probably modeled after Emerson. Both were made in North Jersey and the similarities on the inside were more than coincidental. They seemed to have only a few models overall though W made TVs through the 1960s. I would not be surprised they hung on to the home appliances, lamp divisions, etc if only to retain brand recognition among the masses.

That said, if you were in a fringe area, you were always better off with a Zenith, Admiral, Philco, Sylvania or RCA - But its my second favorite make as a collector.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 04-26-2016 at 01:09 PM.