View Single Post
Old 09-01-2018, 12:56 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanAlley View Post
So the Avante is acting up a little upon power off. Sometimes it makes a very short screech sound from the speaker when turned off and sometimes it's a bit longer. I'm not sure where to look on this one. It definitely is coming from the speaker.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
My folks' second TV, a Crosley "Super V" 21" set from 1955, used to do that as well. I watched this set a lot as a kid, and remember it would make a screeching sound (not from the speaker, IIRC) when turned off. We never did figure out why. The TV worked very well otherwise, so we just left it alone until we got our next set some years later.

The Crosley was still making that sound, IIRC, when we relegated it to the basement (where it stayed from the '60s until the early '70s). It never occurred to me that filter caps could have been causing the noise, although I was just starting out in electronics at the time and knew very little about underchassis repairs (most if not alll of my "repairs" in those days on the old TVs I would rescue from the trash were done by replacing tubes).

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 09-01-2018 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Spelling correction