View Single Post
Old 09-01-2018, 11:08 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanAlley View Post
Well I found the cause of the screech. It's the darn volume pot. I have cleaned it so many times, but it never helped. There seem to be dead spots and other issues internally. I have to go back and forth several times to get the sound just right. So scratchy and dropouts as I turn it. I found the perfect position and all has been well, but I guess that spot wasn't meant to last for ever. It started getting muffled, so I tweaked it again and now it is clear and the screech is gone.

I've searched for over 5 years for a replacement pot (63-10263), but can't find one. Some day I will find one.

Thanks for all the input, and if anyone knows where a volume pot can be found, let me know.
You'll probably have better luck searching for a replacement based on resistance (include taps if present), shaft length/type and mount style....the Zenith part may be long past unobtainium status, but there were probably several other makes that used a compatible part... even if there was not a similar part in other makes many pot kits gave one the ability to build up the correct pot from parts like Legos.... some antique radio pot dealers have the kits to build up a custom part.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4