View Single Post
Old 12-05-2013, 06:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

[QUOTE=radiotvnut;3088930]Here's some low end console stereo cheapness, a Philharmonic AM radio/stereo record player that uses the standard VM changer that everybody else used. The back cover is missing and someone removed the device that holds the lid up. As far as operation, I get faint radio reception with some squealing and the phonograph is very distorted; so, I suspect it needs capacitors. This thing may eventually get parted out (or, maybe not); but, I'm going to have fun with it first. Even though it's low end, I'm sure it's still better than a current Crosley. This is the first console stereo that I've seen that only had AM.

I just pulled the chassis and it uses a Siemens (made in Germany) selenium rectifier and a solid state AM detector diode. The tube line-up is: 12BE6, 12BA6, 12AX7, and 35EH5 x 2, with all the tubes being branded ITT or Philharmonic. The cathode bypass cap for the output tubes, a Callins 150uf, 16V cap was blown apart and the 33ohm, 2W cathode bias resistor is up to around 48 ohms. As far as other capacitors, it uses a mix of ceramic disc and ceramic-cased tubular capacitors.

Does anyone know anything about this brand? I'm guessing that it was a cheap store brand.

It was probably made by Symphonic. They also built record players for Decca and a few others.
It's a little higher-end because of the VM changer and not a BSR.