View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 12:21 PM
<----Zenith C845

I have an Insignia (Best Buy house brand) 19" LCD-LED TV and an HP 20" widescreen computer monitor (the latter probably made by NEC, not sure). Both are working very well as I write this. The Insignia TV is now in the second year of its 2-year factory warranty. Didn't buy the 4-year extended warranty on the TV, though I suppose I should have, though I did purchase the extended warranty for the monitor. However, the TV seems to be working just fine so far, no problems (knock on wood) such as I read about every day on Insignia's support site. I don't know if I managed to get a good one just on the luck of the draw or what, but I'm not complaining. I don't watch hours and hours of TV, just the news, an occasional show on MeTV or Antenna TV, and DVDs of classic TV from the '70s, so I'm thinking the set should last quite a while -- barring a catastrophe such as a lightning strike.

The screens used in Insignia (made by XOCECO of China) TVs are rated for 100k hours to half brightness; those used in HP monitors will (supposedly) last some 50k hours or more if not used for hours at a time. The electronics, however, are another story. I don't know what brand of capacitors are used in these TVs and monitors, but given their low price, I would not expect to find Nichicon or any other quality brand of capacitors on the PC boards. However, I haven't heard any loud pops or seen smoke, etc. coming from the set (or the monitor) yet, and the picture is as good as 720p resolution can deliver, so I won't even think about service problems until or unless, Heaven forbid, something does go wrong.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 04-01-2013 at 12:25 PM.