View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 12:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

We got a 55" Fujitsu Plasmavision SlimScreen P55XHA30WS at work from 2004 still going strong. Its beat up and has burn-in from past use as a computer monitor, but still works fine otherwise. It cost $12000 new... and "slim" in 2004 apparently meant nearly 5 inches deep! It weighs a ton and has a glass base stand, they don't make them like that anymore. The picture quality is lousy compared to today's units though. Low contrast, washed out colors, and green phosphor decay.

The transition to LCDs for computer monitors wasn't all that big a deal. A computer can drive a panel at its native resolution and it was always progressive video. Fixed pixel displays have to deal with upscaling and deinterlacing video when used as TVs, something they don't always do well.

My track record with LCDs has been mixed. Generally the old ones from the late 90s-early 00s last forever as we have a 2002 Viewsonic VP150 that works fine. My various Samsung LCD monitors crapped out in one way or another. I managed to fix one by recapping, but the other one appears to have a fault on the standby power circuit.
Audiokarma